Third-Party Billing

Third-party billing allows entities (companies, corporations, or other government agencies) to establish special billing arrangements.

Third-party billing cannot be used by personal sponsors, family-owned/operated businesses (including corporations), or organizations that pay based on a student's grades.

Sponsor Letter Required

The letter must state that Cornell University will be paid directly. Payments are not to be sent to the student.

The student must email the sponsor letter to the Bursar’s Office.

The letter must be on the sponsoring organization's letterhead and contain the following information:

  • The student’s name.
  • The student’s 7-digit Cornell ID number.
  • The beginning and ending date of the sponsorship.
  • The types of fees covered (tuition, health insurance, housing, dining, etc.).
  • The sponsor’s billing address, contact name, and email address to which the invoice should be sent.

Generally, international students are not eligible to waive Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) enrollment.

See on the Student Health Benefits website for details on whether exceptions can be made for waiving SHP coverage and how to submit a waiver request. Contact Student Health Benefits for details for the upcoming academic year.

How Third-Party Billing Works

  • Deposits: Beginning the 2023-2024 academic year, ALL seat/tuition deposits paid will be applied to the sponsor's invoice and students must seek reimbursement from their sponsor if applicable.
  • After the sponsor’s letter is received and charges are added to the student's account for the semester, a credit with the description Deferred Credit – Sponsor is added to the students bursar account.
  • An invoice for the amount charged to the student's account will be sent to the sponsor after the start of classes each semester or after the close of the add/drop period, depending on sponsor requirements.

Important Notes:

  • Students are liable for all charges if a sponsor does not pay.
  • Students must monitor their account in Cashnet each month and pay any applicable charges.
  • Students must notify the Bursar's Office if they are enrolling in the Summer and/or Winter terms and confirm if the sponsor will be covering the cost.
  • Vouchers for all courses must be submitted to the Bursar's Office at the time of enrollment, if applicable.
  • Sponsors are not allowed to be given and should not accept access to the student's Cashnet/Transact account to view bills or make payments.